Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Infertility Veteran

I was on facebook the other day and I have RESOLVE as a friend on there and they had the question

When are you considered to be an infertility veteran?


here are some of the answers:

* when you can talk about it with others without bawling like a baby :)

* when you take everyones unprompted fertility advice with a grain of salt and a smile, nod, and "Thank you" :)

* I'm not sure you're only a veteran when you've actually gotten pregnant. I think you can be a veteran when you haven't been able to have a baby too, when you're able to talk to others and encourage them to realize that it's a long hard road and they aren't alone.

* When you reach the point where it doesnt make you cry EVERYTIME you think about it. When you've tried everything. When nothing works and you've been at it 5 years. When you want to start helping others and you start seeing mothers with babies and you don't want to punch them. =) haha jk.

* When you gotten passed all the emotional issues.

* When you get to the point of acceptance with your infertility. When you know every option available, and have done things you never even imagined you would. When you put yourself though dozens of painful tests. Also when you are comfortable with getting naked from the waste down.

* when ur not longer depressed about it and u just push through and ur always one step ahead and ready to move on to your next step incase urs doesnt work

* You're a veteran when you can start laughing about it, whether you've succeeded or not, you're a veteran when shots and needles and dildo-cam ultrasounds become you're "new normal". You're a veteran when you start thinking women who can't give themselves their own IM shots need to toughen up and get serious.

* Let's see...when you reach a point where you can mentor others who are just entering the world of "infertility". True some of us are more seasoned, but even those who have learned only a little have something to offer those who are just beginning their journey

* I would say you are a veteran after you get through the denial, you accept it, you educate yourself about it and then are willing to educate others.

* When you find you know more about your body, and reproduction in general, than your doctor. ;)

* When I was casually chatting about the weather naked from my bra down as my Dr bent over my exposed belly and removed sutures from my recent lap I realize I am an infertility veteran




ALOT of those are sooo true. I hate it for all of us, but in the end-it WILL make us all stronger :)

2 comments:

  1. Bless all of you veterans, I am so thankful that you are there for me! I am not there yet... I am still very emotional about it and not really in acceptance... I am SO sorry that all of you are going through this with me... but Crystal, you are a blessing to me and I don't know how I would make it without you!!! God is doing this to both of us for a reason, and I know he got us back in touch with each other because we need each other.

    ReplyDelete